What’s wrong with Eircode?
Lots. Much of this document arises from discussions and emails with Loc8. I am not affiliated with them in any way but they have always seemed to me to be at least as good if not manifestly better than Eircode. And FREE!!! I understand that the material here plus more was provided to the Minister in December but as of now no response has been recieved. Perhaps the Minister might read this?
- Poor Design
- No Meaningful Testing
- Database driven
- Major Data Protection Security risk?
- Only for dwellings
- No Logic – Easily Confused·
- Requires constant updating / Delayed Updates
- Difficult to integrated with software / devices
- Limited use for emergency services & may cost lives
- No use for utility companies or local authority infrastructure
- No use for transport company infrastructure
- Limited use for tourism
- No use for temporary events
What has Loc8 Code got to offer over Eircode?
- Designed to be simple to use and communicate
- Lightweight algorithm driven
- Faster and more secure
- Self‐Service option saves money
- For everywhere on island of Ireland.
- Install once NEVER requires updating
- Ideal for all emergency services/public safety on the island of Ireland
- Ideal for utility company / local authority infrastructure
- Ideal for tourism
- Ideal for temporary events
- Ideal for wildlife surveying
A shoal of Red Herrings
- Random versus Sequential versus Nested?
- Not accurate enough?
- Giving a postcode to an apartment?
- Checksum doesn’t work?
- What if you can’t self service?